M’jadara (Lentil Soup)
2 medium onions coarsely chopped
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Cup green lentils (rinsed)
1 Cup long grain white rice such as basmiti or jasmine
2-3 quarts water
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt to taste – about 1 teaspoon
Black Pepper to taste – about ½ teaspoon
1 large cube vegetable bouillon (optional) or I like 1 Tablespoon of “Better Than Bullion”
1 cup diced carrots – recommended
1 cup diced potatoes
½ cup chopped celery
1 zucchini diced – recommended
- In a large soup pot cook onions and other vegetables in olive oil until soft, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add cumin and stir for 1 minute
- Add lentils and water and cook over medium heat until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Add rice and seasoning and cook for another 15 minutes until rice is soft.
- Serve with chopped sweet raw onions – optional
Note: There are many versions of this dish for a thicker casserole like consistency cut water back to 2 quarts.
You can experiment by adding grated carrots or chopped potatoes, celery, and zucchini.
2 TBS Olive Oil
1 large onion diced
1 red bell pepper diced
1 yellow bell pepper diced
1 jalapeno pepper diced small
1 cup of carrots diced
1 sweet potato cubed
2 cloves garlic minced
1 large can of diced tomatoes or diced fire roasted tomatoes
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp oregano
¼ tsp. cayenne
1 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
1 15 oz. can kidney or pinto beans drained and rinsed
2 cups vegetarian broth
1 cup frozen corn
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven. Add onion, red and yellow bell peppers, jalapeno, carrots and sweet potato and saute about 7 min.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, drained and rinsed beans and corn.
- Bring to a boil stirring occasionally, reduce heat and simmer about 30 min until thickened
- Remove 1 to 2 cups of thickened chili and blend in a food processor or blender and add back to pot.
- Remove from heat and add 2 Tablespoons of your favorite vinegar and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with your favorite toppings; shredded cheese, sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips, etc.