Madesu – a delicious Congolese dish
2 cans of cannellini beans with their liquid
¼ tsp. of garlic powder
½ tsp of onion powder
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp. of olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 leek, white part only, chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
1 can diced tomatoes and their liquid
1 tsp of chili paste (more to taste)
2 Tbsp of tomato paste
¼ tsp of coriander
2 vegetable stock cubes or 2 Tbsp. of Vegetable Better than Bullion
- In a medium size pan heat 2 cans of cannellini beans with ¼ tsp. of garlic powder, ½ tsp. of onion powder and 2 bay leaves for about 30 min.
- In a saute’ pan heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Saute’ onion for about 2 min. then add chopped leek and cook about 3 min. until onion and leek are tender.
- Add garlic and saute about 1 min. Don’t let garlic brown.
- Add 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 tsp of chilli paste and 2 Tbsp. of tomato paste and simmer on low for 20 min.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg, ¼ tsp of coriander and 2 vegetable stock cubes or 2 Tbsp of Better Than Bullion concentrate.
- Combine the sauce with the beans along with ¼ cup of water and simmer for about 20 min. until sauce thinkens.
- Serve with brown rice and/or baked sweet potatoes.
One package of no boil lasagna noodles
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion
1 lb. cremini mushrooms chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
4 garlic cloves minced
2 teaspoons oregano
2 jars of spaghetti sauce
1 16 oz. package of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 15 oz. container of ricotta cheese
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat 3 Tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in skillet
- Sprinkle onions and mushrooms with salt and sauté on medium heat until mushrooms have given off most of their moisture.
- Add oregano and minced garlic to onion mixture and cook for about a minute. Don’t let garlic brown.
- Add shredded carrots and one jar of spaghetti sauce and a can of diced tomatoes to onion mixture.
- Set aside ¼ cup of mozzarella and ¼ cup of parmesan to spread on top of lasagna
- Whisk eggs then add remaining cheeses, parsley and 1 tsp of salt and stir.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of sauce with onion mixture in bottom of 9 X 12 baking dish.
- Cover with lasagna noodles
- Spoon 1 ½ cups of sauce on top
- Spread 1/3 the cheese mixture over the noodles
- Repeat noodles, sauce and cheese layers 2 more times
- Top with another layer of noodles and pour remaining sauce over noodles
- Sprinkle reserved mozzarella and parmesan over top
- Loosely cover with parchment paper then foil
- Bake on a rimmed baking sheet 40 minutes
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and let stand 15-20 minutes and serve